Students come to school hungry for many reasons, not just because they are “poor” or come from “uncaring homes”. They may be hungry because:
- of a long bus ride to school,
- they leave home too early for breakfast
- They had a hectic morning schedule so they had little time for a proper breakfast
- They are not hungry first thing in the morning
- Small tummies, so hungry again by the time they get to school and
- Parent’s work schedules.
Whatever the reason, Student Nutrition Programs are opened to anyone, no questions asked. In addition to healthy foods, student nutrition programs also provide a safe and welcoming atmosphere where children and youth can develop relationships and feel like they belong.